Call for Nominations for the International Geothermal Association (IGA) Board
1st December 2022
Who we are:
The International Geothermal Association (IGA) is the leading global platform on geothermal energy. With its four pillars, Visibility, Sustainability, Partnerships, and Authority, it is committed to pushing geothermal as a game-changer for achieving Sustainable Development Goals related to zero hunger, ensuring access to affordable and clean energy for all, building sustainable cities and communities, taking climate action, and strengthening global partnerships for sustainable development.
The IGA connects the global geothermal community, serving as a hub for networking and learning opportunities aimed at promoting and supporting sustainable geothermal development. With industry partners, the IGA sets standards, supports the technology agenda, and nurtures entrepreneurs engaged in clean technology.
The IGA memberships comprise over 30 national geothermal associations from around the world, 20+ corporate members from leaders in the industry, institutional members, many individual and student members, as well as two regional branches representing Africa and Asia Western Pacific.
Calling for Nominations:
The Membership and Nominating Committee is calling for nominations from the membership for 15 candidates for Board representation for the term 2023-2026.
We are seeking 15 Board members in this round.
What we are looking for:
Good governance is vital for the success of the IGA, and the Directors’ role is pivotal for that. We require a balance of skills, knowledge, experience, and perspective. Having a diverse Board that reflects our membership from around the world, including gender diversity, is paramount.
The IGA is in transition to a new membership model that will be implemented by the new Board in the 2023-2026 term, including registration in the Netherlands. We require an IGA board member to be:
- Pro-active, value-driven, well-prepared and informed, ready to actively engage!
- Committed to helping shape the strategic goals of the IGA, whilst supporting the Executive Director to execute that strategy
- Understand the role of governance within an organization, knowing the difference between governance and operation
- Appreciative of commercial issues and risks with a focus on accountability and transparency
- Advocate for geothermal in the energy transition
Our current board members https://www.lovegeothermal.org/about/people/
Please refer to the IGA’s Constitution and Bylaws for detail of the Director’s Duties, Code of Conduct, eligibility, roles, and expectations. https://www.lovegeothermal.org/about/about-us/
Board members are expected to contribute actively to the Board and its working groups. It usually requires a few hours of commitment per month depending on the activities of the organization at that time.
Prior to the pandemic, the Board met twice a year; however, all meetings since have been online, and for some, this has been quite challenging. With travel restrictions easing, we expect meetings to be held in person (at least one per year). You will be required to have funding support for your own travel.
Activities may include, but are not limited to:
- Attending twice yearly BoD meetings in person (if conditions allow)
- Attending monthly videoconference calls
- Contributing to permanent and temporary working committees
- Attending Annual and Extraordinary General Meetings (AGM, EGM)
How to apply:
IGA members are invited to put forward your nomination for candidate selection to email@example.com with the subject “Nomination IGA Board 2023-2026”
- Affiliate, Corporate and Institutional Members may nominate one (1) candidate
- Individual members may nominate themselves with the support of at least thirty (30) current members of the IGA, either signed in hard copy or a collation of emails expressing their support (presented as a single document).
We ask our Affiliate, Institutional, and Corporate members to keep in mind diversity and inclusion in their candidate selection.
The person being nominated must be a current financial member of the IGA either through an Affiliate or Institutional organization, Corporate or Individual member.
Each nomination must contain a short candidate statement (max 500 words) with the nomination as to why they have been selected and what they would bring to the IGA Board. The email should also include the following: name of the nominee, their contact address, email, and phone number, governance experience, Resume (2 pages max), and head shot.
Nominations close on the 31st of December 2022, 5 pm CET.
The candidate will be notified if their nomination is accepted by 1st February 2022.
Elections will take place from 1st March 2022.